birding-aus

Terek, Broad-billed SP's at Shoalhaven Heads

To: <>
Subject: Terek, Broad-billed SP's at Shoalhaven Heads
From: "Jackett Family" <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:08:53 +1100
Hi all,

Went to Shoalhaven Heads (2hrs south of Sydney CBD) twice today to check out the Broad-billed Sandpipers reported yesterday by Darryl McKay. First arrived at 10:00am at hide tide when all the birds were in a large mixed flock. A lone Terek Sandpiper was discovered with the variuos smaller species. After missing the Broad-bills we decided to come back at low tide when the waders were feeding on the mudflats. We arrived at around 1pm (low tide) and the 2 Broad-billed Sandpipers were quickly found together in shallow water with some Sharp-tailed Sandpipers. The Terek and Broad-bills were both new birds for me.

Shorebirds at Shoalhaven Heads (Comerong Island) for the 5th Jan 2004:
Eastern Curlew
Terek Sandpiper
Bar-tailed Godwit
Red Knot
Sharp-tailed Sandpiper
Red-necked Stint
Broad-billed Sandpiper
Pied Oystercatcher
Masked Lapwing
Pacific Golden Plover
Lesser Sand Plover
Greater Sand Plover
Red-capped Plover

Other birds of interest at the location:
2 White-bellied Sea-eagles
40+ White-throated Needletails

A Latham's Snipe was found at an artificial wetland between Shoalhaven Heads and Gerroa. A good day in the Shoalhaven.

Cheers,
Nigel Jackett
Kangaroo Valley