birding-aus

Little Whimbrels at Atkinson's Dam, SEQ

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Little Whimbrels at Atkinson's Dam, SEQ
From: knightl <>
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:12:01 +1000
Thank you Trevor,

Yes, I did spend a lot of time scanning the pastures around the Dam - I the only birds I saw away from the water were dozens of spur-winged plovers, a similar number of magpies, the odd pipit and peewee, and the babblers [and associated woodland birds] hanging around the car park.

I don't know enough about little curlews to surmise whether they were probably nearby but hiding, off in the distance but still in the neighbourhood, off to another pasture for a change of scenery, or buggered off. Do they tend to stay loyal to a location at this time of year, or do they tend to shoot through?

Regards, Laurie.