birding-aus

Where to see Superb Parrots between Syd/Adel?

To: "Philip Griffin" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Where to see Superb Parrots between Syd/Adel?
From: "Bob Cook" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2003 15:21:51 +1100
Hi Philip

I recently did the same trip (November) and had at least three sightings of
Superb Parrots in the first 25 kms West of Wagga Wagga on the Sturt Highway.
The first sighting was approx 17 kms West of Wagga Wagga where I saw a group
of four or five fly across the road into some large roadside Eucalypts.  I
stopped and turned around and found three again easily in a tree no more
than 3 metres off the ground.  They were undisturbed by the road traffic or
by me approaching to within 8 - 10 metres for about ten minutes.  I would
suggest fairly slow driving along this 25km stretch, keeping your eyes out
for slender, swept wing, fast flying parrots across or along the road where
there are large roadside trees.

Russ Lamb (see message from about 2 days ago) also saw Superb Parrots
between Balranald and Hay on the Sturt Highway.

Regards
Bob Cook