birding-aus

A successfull Adubon Bird calling day!

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: A successfull Adubon Bird calling day!
From: "warragal" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 21:25:02 +1100
Hi all,
After all this talk about the Audubon bird caller I decided to get my one out (which I too got as a christmas present,last year)to see how many of the locals I could call up.
So I set off for Sheldon Forest in Turramurra and surely enough before the start of the main track I had already called up Brown Thornbill,Striated Thornbill,White Browed Scrubwren,Spotted Pardalote,Brown Gerygone,Grey Fantail,Golden Whistler (only a female one),Eastern Spinebill,Eastern Yellow Robin and White-throated Treecreeper.
The Brown Thornbills came in first as a group harshly squeaking in a small wattle 50cm away from me,then came a brown gerygone with its lighter scolding call,the whitebrowed scrubwren,then the resident Eastern Yellow Robins,then the eclipse Grey Fantails and soon enough evry shrub around me had birds in it squeaking,chriping and scolding.
After this not much success and after failing to find the Brown Goshwak familly I went back home.
Cheers,
Kurtis Lindsay