birding-aus

A good days birding

Subject: A good days birding
From: "jade welch" <>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 19:54:59 +1000
Hi All,

Today my brother who is disabled (and always interested in those things we
all love birds) and myself went a few kilometres west, north and south of
our home in Queensland to find as many bird species as possible. As my
brother is not restricted physically and has never been birdwatching we
decided our first stop would be at the O'Reilly's Rainforest Guesthouse (on
the way i saw my first lifer for the day a Pheasant Coucal) where we arrived
at 7:32 am and promptly started on a few kilometres of walking. Highlights
at O'Rielly's for me included as always Satin Bowerbirds, Emerald Doves (a
lifer) and Wonga Pigeons. His favourites were Logrunners, King Parrots, and
Australian Brush-Turkey. As we only did the pensioner track twice we were
happy with what we saw and he was happy to feed the birds all though i chose
not to.

After leaving O'Reilly's we decided we would head for Beaudesert where we
saw several species including Brown Falcons, 1 Channel-billed Cuckoo (a
lifer), Brown Quails and Rainbow Bee-eater's. After a few hours in
Beaudesert we headed for Hinze Dam where we saw just about nothing as the
drought has taken a big toll on the dam which is down to 40 something
percent capacity. We did see a single Emerald dove, Whistling kite and a few
other species. Afterwards we looked for Glossy Black-Cockatoos at my no
longer reliable spots. There has been a low number of Glossy Black's seen on
the Gold Coast in the past year and old feeding sites are no longer used in
many parts and i put this down to drought and poor success in producing
Casuarina Cones by the trees themselves. Humans encroachment on the birds
habitat has also played a big role due to the.

After having no success in seeing Glossies i headed for my favourite haunts
near my home in Carrara (Queensland) where we saw plenty more species
including Magpie Geese, Latham's Snipe, Hardhead ducks, an Australian Hobby
and Brahminy Kites. Overall we saw a total of 81 species (more if you can
include unidentified birds) my highest number in one day. I must say that he
and i had a great day of bonding and his favourite species for the day
really made me see that he had fun to. His favourite species was the pair of
Brown Quails trying to cross the road in Beaudesert. Well that's all from me
have fun, a good New Year and keep birding. I think i have a new birding
partner.

Australian Brush-Turkey
Brown Quail
Wandering Whistling-Duck