birding-aus

When does the Common Koel Sleep ?

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: When does the Common Koel Sleep ?
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 20:04:40 +1000
G'day all,
The current trail re Koel species prompts me to raise the following ---

The Common Koel can be heard during our summer months calling both day and night

Hanzab ( Vol 4, p760- 773 ) states
"social behaviour poorly known. Difficult to observe..."
" During breeding season, male perch high in cover and give Coo-ee loudly for long period, both day and night."

1
Does anyone have an opinion as to whether they -
- stay awake the whole time OR
- cat-nap for short periods ?

2
Are there any other (Australian) birds that call both day and night ?

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.