birding-aus

Terns

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Terns
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 23:07:46 +1100
Went this Monday afternoon to Penryhn Rd., North Botany Bay (about 1600 hours). Opposite boat ramp 75+ Common tern, but round to the left towards point, and approached with care, I 'followed' a Little Tern in (as reported earlier on this website)  and saw it float down onto it's hollowed out "nest". Managed to edge closer and spent ages watching it, and two visits from it's mate, delivering small fish. It got disturbed by a persistant Willie Wagtail (territory dispute??--not much difference in size!!)) and took off, only to return to same hollow each time.

I departed, when people with dog approached along beach. Didn't dare get too close to hollow to check for eggs, so can't report on that. But, I am concerned about extreme vulnerability,especially as they have been "outfoxed" at Towra Point. Would "the powers that be", be able to fence off part of that area, even tho' it is a public beach?

Lovely Bird!!
Regards,
Peter Madvig / Beecroft