birding-aus

Christmas Island news

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: Christmas Island news
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:58:30 -0000

Peter & Rhonda Barren have just (21.11.03) returned from two weeks on Christmas Island with the following news.

Schrenck's Bittern. A dead one was found and handed to head ranger Max Orchard on 19.11.03. This a new species for Australian Territory and comes fast on the heels of the first Cinnamon Bittern, see Australian Field Ornithology, June 2003. It will be sent to Museum Victoria.

White-throated Needletail. 6, 3 & 1 were seen on successive days. Rare in WA this is the first record for CI.

Pond Heron. Further to my last posting I can advise (David Bishop et al.) that iris colour is not a distinguishing feature. Unless we can get very detailed info on primary pattern, it is likely that like the previous occurrence, this individual will remain unidentified to species.

    They also saw several Grey & Yellow Wagtails and the usual Barn Swallows.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136