birding-aus

Central West birding

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Central West birding
From: "Stephen Gross" <>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:45:25 +1100
Over the weekend I decided to head to the extreme west and east points of Central West NSW - these being Lake Cargelligo area in the west and the Capertee Valley in the east.

Round Hill and Nombinnie NR ( where does Round Hill NR and Nombinnie NR start and end?) were very overall very quiet, not helped by the fact that the day began to start getting hot by 8 a.m. Whoey Tank only produced several Spiny Cheeked Honeyeaters and a Striped Honeyeater. The wheat field, now in Nombinnie NR according to the sign, was marginally more active with a couple of male Variegated Fairywrens brightening up the area and many Rufous Whistlers. I finally managed to get onto a Gilbert's Whistler (a tick thankyou very much) but that was the best bird here.

Lake Cargelligo STW was the next stop. It was very hot, very smelly and full of birds. Heaps of Red Necked Avocets and Glossy Ibis, Marsh Sandpipers, Red Capped Plover and Sharp Tailed Stints, a pair of Banded Lapwings, Black Tailed Native Hens among the waterbirds. My best birds here were two small birds with yellowish wash on the breast, bright yellow rumps and wagging tails. They were starting to give me silly ideas of being Yellow Wagtails? until the male turned up, a very bright Orange Chat - very spectacular.

Sunday was the Capertee Valleys turn. White Browed Woodswallows and Rufous Songlarks were everywhere but there was a definite lack of any lorikeets and many honeyeaters. Coco Creek was particularly active with Yellow Tufted, New Holland and a Black Chinned Honeyeater being here - the only honeyeaters I actually saw around. The Double Barred Finches were in place as was a Southern Whiteface. At Glen Alice there was a Turquoise Parrot.

Overall, the weekend gave me 112 birds which was a good total considering how warm and dry everywhere looked.

Regards Steve Gross
Orange NSW