birding-aus

Re: Halloween Powerful Owl?

To: Lawrie Conole <>
Subject: Re: Halloween Powerful Owl?
From: Tim Dolby <>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 10:33:36 +1100
Lawrie, I would have thought the appearance of a Powerful Owl in Northcote
(Vic) on Halloween was obvious. It was obviously delivering a letter to my son
about the Quidditch match between the Welsh Red Dragon's and the mighty All
Blacks.
53 ? 36!? There was definitely witchcraft involved!

In all seriousness, I haven't seen heard nor seen a Powerful Owl in my
immediate area. If it was an immature bird I?d suggest it was just been moving
through, but an adult may have a territory. Yarra Bend has the potential for a
pair - there's nesting Boobook for example, the closest pair to the city of
Melbourne. I reckon the first place to look for a roosting bird would
be in the big gums and pines near the Fairfield Boathouse. There's plenty of
possums and the Grey-headed Flying-fox about also.

Tim

Lawrie Conole wrote:

> Hi birders
>
> On Friday (Halloween) night I was in the car not far from home around
> dusk, going to pick up our 10yo witch from her friend's house.  In
> Thomson Street, Northcote (inner Melbourne, Victoria - not far from the
> Yarra River corridor), I was somewhat surprised to see an adult Powerful
> Owl perched on top of a power pole in the suburban street.  A second or
> so later it copped a whack on the head from one of the local Australian
> Magpies, and disappeared northwards, still under attack.
>
> Interesting Halloween record - and first so close to home of Powerful
> Owl for me!  Even closer to Tim Dolby's house - so I wonder if he has
> anything to add????
>
> Cheers, Lawrie
>
> --
> =================================
> Lawrie Conole
> Senior Ecologist
> Ornithology & Terrestrial Ecology
>
> Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
> Flora and Fauna Consultants
> 88B Station Street
> FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
> E-mail:
> Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
> Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
> Fax: (03) 9481 7679
> ABN 83 006 757 142
>
> NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information
> intended for addressees only.  If you are not the intended recipient you are
> notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or dissemination
> of this communication is strictly prohibited by State and Commonwealth Acts
> Of Parliament including the Victorian Information Privacy Act 2000.

Birding-Aus is now on the Web at