birding-aus

Barking Owl breeding

Subject: Barking Owl breeding
From: Niven <>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:45:05 +0930
Hi all
went to check my staked out Barking Owls at a local school this morning and
found that the young bird was out of the nest. Seemed quite grown up, still
rather
white and a bit fluffy on the underparts but nothing like the complete ball of
white
fluff that I'm used to seeing in young Rufous Owls when they first leave the
nest.
Perhaps this one had been out for a little while but remained hidden. Saw
another
pair of Barking Owls at the Botanic Gardens, less than a minute's walk from the
Rufous Owl. One was giving the other what looked like a relaxing head massage
with its bill. I've been seeing a single Barking Owl in the same tree over a
period
of a few weeks, so am wondering if this pair too is nesting. Generally Barking
Owl
doesn't tend to stay in the same tree for extended periods of time, so there's
got
to be something keeping them there.
Happy birding
Niven