birding-aus

Pt Edwards, Swan Bay

Subject: Pt Edwards, Swan Bay
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 20:47:19 +1000

Today i visited Pt Edwards in beautiful conditions.

Point Edwards is part of Swan Bay in Port Philip Bay, accessed from St Leonards on the Bellerine Peninsula.

Its quiet a long walk out to the Point, but the vegetation is amazing, and plenty of birds to keep you occupied on the way there.

Birds seen on the way out to the point included Silvereye, Grey Fantail, Spiny Cheeked Honeyeater, Red Wattlebird, White Browed Scrubwren, Straited Fieldwren, Superb Fairywren, Brown and Straited Thornbill, Black Shouldered Kite, Willy Wagtail, Starling.

In one of the lagoons on the way out to the point was a Black Swan positioned on a nest in the middle of the lagoon. A nice sight. Further along the track, i disturbed my first waders seen for the day, possibly godwits, but i didn't get a good look.  I then saw a group of Red Necked Stints feeding in the weed, and spotted 3 Ruddy Turnstones amongst them, bulldozing the weed. A new bird for me, and they kept me fascinated for a good half hour. I came across porbably 7 others during the day, so around 10 all up.

Finally reaching the point, i wasn't dissappointed. On a small sand spit off the end of the point were a single Sooty Oystercatcher, 2 Pied Oystercatchers, 2 Caspian Terns, about 20 Fairy Terns, a couple of Little Terns, Crested Terns, Silver Gull, Adult and Immature Pacific Gulls, and some greenshank feeding on the opposite point.

Gotta love spring!

Peter