birding-aus

Eastern Creek Tip, western Sydney - 20th September

To: <>
Subject: Eastern Creek Tip, western Sydney - 20th September
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 21:07:37 +1000
Woke up early this morning to spend a couple of hours (about 7 - 9 am approx) exploring my local tip at Eastern Creek (approx 40km west of Sydney CBD). This is survey no. 2. Though survey no. 1 was last week, I do not plan to go this frequent in future but am always curiuous to see what birds may be about in this area of good potential.

Probably because I did not stay later than 9 am today that I could not expand on my raptor list of only 3 species but I did see again the Black Falcon. This Black Falcon is always a sneaky bugger and revealed itself this morning after spooking a flock of Silver Gulls feeding in the rubbish (while all the trucks where putting in more) along with the abundant White Ibis (1000 plus with many travelling west and others coming in from else where) . The falcon then circled and headed eastwards towards Prospect Reservoir or to my place as I would hope (one day I'll have it in my yard list). There were the usual mob of at least 8 (or more?) Whistling Kites. The only other raptor was one Black-shouldered Kite. In future surveys I plan to go a little latter to the tip when it is most ideal for raptors (about mid -morning). Another interesting find was a Pacific Heron flying through, a bird I have not seen a while in my local area.

Edwin Vella