birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant web cam

To: john boyce <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant web cam
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:00:20 +1000

The webcam is actually very good. You can take control of the camera angle, but only one user can control the webcam at a time. (in 6 minute stints).

Unfortunately, the camera was locked into a close focus during the storm, and you could see very little (i screen captured the event if anyone is interested).

[BOM is worth checking out as well, to see the amazing speed of the arrival of the front]

You have the ability to pull back to wide views that shows the huge 'swarms' of pink ears arriving back to the lake etc. Close ups of nest boxes, and overviews of the  lake.....excellent technology!

The image resolution, is quiet bad...but thats webcams. To give a general overview of the place and amount of birdlife, it will be excellent.

Great work Melbourne water!

And great timing Shirley! : )

Cheers.

Peter

Hi everyone,
I was someone who thought a web cam at WTP near Melbourne would be a
great idea to show off the diversity of birds on the lakes (I made a
suggestion about a year ago). But anyone who can ID any birds with the
current web cam has got better eyes and ID skills than I. Check out
www.melbournewater.com.au/webcam and see if you can actually see any
birds! Of course when I looked it was raining and half the cameras just
showed water droplets on the lens so it might be slightly better on a
clear day but I think the web cam resolution is a bit low.
John