birding-aus

Some Tasmania questions

Subject: Some Tasmania questions
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 11:54:50 +1000
G'day all

Off on a week's holiday to Tassy on Tuesday.  I've seen all the endemics
except Strong-billed Honeyeater - don't know how I've managed to miss these
on previous visits - and this trip will be more for sight-seeing and
catching up with our daughter in Hobart.

However, I will be birding of course at every opportunity.

What are my chances of finding a Masked Owl?  How common are Barn Owls?
I'm prepared for a bit of nocturnal birding if the weather permits.  Any
clues on locations, habitat etc. for Masked Owls?

We have our accommodation booked except for somewhere to stay on the east
coast north of Hobart on the last night.  I had planned to stay in Bicheno
but it is booked out.  Can anyone recommend a nice small town to stay in up
that way?  Somewhere close to birds would be nice.  What about St. Helens?
It looks like it might be good for waders.

Cheers

Steve