birding-aus

Amazing waterfowl event

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Amazing waterfowl event
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 20:33:43 +1000
Hi all

Last Saturday I was out with an American birder and we were at Lake Samsonvale  nw of Brisbane (Tom Tarrant territory).  There were about 400 pelicans hard at work accompanied by  a couple of thousand cormorants (estimated).  These were about equal numbers of Greats and Little Blacks. The Pelicans were swimming around in circles and the cormorants were diving among them.  Also close by were a couple of thousand Coots and over a thousand Hardheads.  Another highlight was a White-bellied Sea-Eagle harassing the Coots and ducks.  Every time it flew low over the Coots, they formed a solid raft, dipped their heads under and then up in the air.  The ducks dived, flew and generally scattered.

There were a number of other waterfowl species around in less impressive numbers.  We also had a Southern Boobook being harassed by Figbirds, Little Shrike-Thrushes, Leaden Flycatchers, Rufous Whistlers and Spangled Drongos.  One Drongo persisted long after the others had all given up.  Nearby we had great views of a Wompoo Pigeon feeding on Moreton Bay figs only about 5 metres from us.

All in all some memorable birding with about 80 species in a couple of hours.  Another interesting episode involved a large Eastern Brown Snake visiting us as we sat having lunch.  I have never seen someone get up on a picnic table so quickly.

Cheers
Roy Sonnenburg
Birding Services Brisbane
www.birdingservices.com.au