birding-aus

[no subject]

To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
From: (Majordomo)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2003 15:17:54 +1000 (EST)
[203.213.19.50])
        by mail2.tpgi.com.au (8.12.9/8.12.9) with ESMTP id h883kohh000773
        for <>; Mon, 8 Sep 2003 13:46:51 +1000
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2003 13:46:51 +1000
From: Lawrie Conole <>
To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: RFI: Capricornia Whiteye - new species?

--------------010706090302070604060605

Hi birders

A very rapid perusal of a print copy of today's copy of "The Australian"
mentioned that the taxon formerly known as the Heron Island Silvereye
(Zosterops lateralis chlorocephala) has just been bumped up to species
status by Kikkawa et al. in a paper published in the latest QOS
"Sunbird".  It looks like we now have a species called the Capricornia
Whiteye (Z. chlorocephalus) - the only bird species endemic to the Great
Barrier Reef system.  Nothing in the online "Aus" to post here.  I'm
just wondering if any "Sunbird" subscribers could tell us more about the
basis on which this taxonomic decision has been made????????

L.

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail:
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential
information intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or
forward without permission.

--------------010706090302070604060605

<head>
content="text/html;charset=ISO-8859-1">
   <title></title>
</head>
Hi birders<br>
A very rapid perusal of a print copy of today's copy of "The
Australian" mentioned that the taxon formerly known as the Heron Island
Silvereye (<i>Zosterops lateralis chlorocephala</i>) has just been
bumped up to species status by Kikkawa et al. in a paper published in
the latest QOS "Sunbird".&nbsp; It looks like we now have a species
called
the Capricornia Whiteye (<i>Z. chlorocephalus</i>) - the only bird
species endemic to the Great Barrier Reef system.&nbsp; Nothing in the
online "Aus" to post here.&nbsp; I'm just wondering if any "Sunbird"
subscribers could tell us more about the basis on which this taxonomic
decision has been made????????<br>
L.<br>
<pre class="moz-signature" cols="72">--
=================================
Lawrie Conole
Senior Ecologist
Ornithology &amp; Terrestrial Ecology

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail: <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="">
om.au</a>
Internet: <a class="moz-txt-link-freetext"
href="http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/";>http://
www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/</a>
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential
information intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or
forward without permission.
</pre>