birding-aus

Crakes and Rails at Mt Isa

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Crakes and Rails at Mt Isa
From: Don and Llane Hadden <>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2003 20:18:28 +1000
Hi Michael

I have Bob Forsyth's checklist of the Lake Camooweal birds and Spotless Crake and Buff-banded Rail are not on the list. I was out birding with Bob today and the Buff-banded Rail approached us both quite closely. Apparently it is seen more regularly at the Sewage ponds. The Spotless Crake seems to be real rarity here though. Perhaps just one certain sighting at the ponds. The finch I saw had a black bill and square tail and hence I assumed it was a Black-throated, but I'm still very much a beginner as far as Australian birds are concerned and am happy to be corrected. My hide is a hinged, collapsible, hessian covered box about a cubic sq. metre and I have spent many hours in it this week at the edge of the reeds on a "wait and see" basis. That is how I was able to photograph the Spotless Crake which fossicked out at the edge of the reeds on a couple of occasions.

Don Hadden

Mobile 0439 958220 (Australia)
4/43 Camooweal St, Mt Isa, Qld 4825
Phone +61 7 4743 4172

has notified the sender that this message has been received.