birding-aus

Woodgate Nat Park, Qld

Subject: Woodgate Nat Park, Qld
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:14:40 +1000
Hi All
Took the drive north to Woodgate National Park and the Burrum Pt campsite
on Thursday night last. (Just south of Bundaberg, south end of Central
Qld coast, 370 kms north of Brisbane, turn off at Childers, you?ll need a
4WD to access the campsite)
Last time I was here in January the shallow swamp/mangrove area in the
centre of the park was almost dry. This time it was partly (about half)
flooded, with water up to the hide. This didn?t increase hugely the
number of birds or species, however.
A pair of Chestnut Teal, 1 Red-kneed Dotterel and a Royal Spoonbill were
probably as a result of the increased water level, but Black-winged
Stilts, Marsh Sandpiper (1) and Red-capped Dotterels (2 pairs) were in
similar numbers as previous.
A large number of Noisy Friarbirds with a couple of Little Friarbirds
thrown in haunted the trees directly over the camp grounds but Brown
Honeyeaters were dominant with scattered numbers of Leaden Flycatcher,
Yellow Robin and Rufous Whistler in the bush.
I did visit the mouth of Theodolite Creek (far end (north) of the
esplanade at Woodgate) at low tide - a huge expanse of sandy beach. There
were approx 25 Lesser Sand Plovers scattered across this area along with
a few Curlews and Whimbrels. Along the road through the Nat Park to
Walker?s Point (South of Woodgate) Bee eaters sat on the wires watching
over their sand hole nests and a few Grey Kangaroos grazed on the short
grass.
Other than that it was very quiet ? so I came back a day early!
Full bird list available to any callers.
--
  Colin Reid

So many birds, so little time......