birding-aus

WA Trip Part 3

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: WA Trip Part 3
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:29:39 +1000
Back again

DAY TWO

The dawn chorus was deafening this morning. Yellow-tinted, Singing, Rufous-throated and the lovely golden backed race of the Black-chinned Honeyeater. A couple of Banded Honeyeaters were to be the only ones seen on this trip.

A visit to the sewerage works was highlighted by a Wood Sandpiper and some Black winged Stilts.

 Around 70 kms east of Fitzroy Crossing we stopped on a creek where we saw some Cockatiels perched in a tree and had some fabulous close up views of a small group of Painted Finches and some Pictorella Mannikins. Further on we came across more water and a group of about 30 Painted Finches, more Pictorellas and also Spinifex Pigeons. A Brown Goshawk and Brown Falcon patrolled overhead. Zebra Finches were common everywhere.

Approximately 100 kms west of Halls Creek we saw our first of many Black-breasted Buzzards, 2 adult birds. Closer to Halls Creek (30 kms) west a single BBB flew right in front of the car.

We refuelled in Halls Creek and back tracked to the start of the Tanami Desert road and headed south to Wolfe Creek Crater. On the way seeing our first of many Australian Bustards and the first of our Black Falcons.

We camped just before the Wolfe Creek Crater turn off and had a wonderful Stir fry for tea. 74 species were seen for the day.

Australian Wood Duck

Pacific Black Duck

Grey Teal

Hardhead