birding-aus

WA trip Part 2

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: WA trip Part 2
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 20:27:24 +1000
Hi all

DAY ONE

Tuesday morning, 12/8/03, three vehicles and ten people leave Broome in the pouring rain to start our journey which will take us through some very remote but beautiful country. Due to the rain we didn?t bother to stop at many lagoons etc that we would have done otherwise so early birding was limited. A fuel stop provided a chance for viewing birds in the flowering Eucalypts, Yellow tinted Honeyeater and Brown Honeyeater.

We continued on without stops towards our overnight destination of Fitzroy Crossing and the rain petered out as we headed further east.

Arriving early, we lunched beside the Fitzroy River and it was very windy but we started to see some good birds.

Pied Cormorants and Darter fished the river whilst Whistling and Black Kites patrolled overhead. A perched Collared Sparrow hawk gave us all great views through the scope.

Other birds seen included:

Little Woodswallow

Black-faced Woodswallow

Zebra Finch

Red-tailed Black Cockatoo

Red-winged Parrot

Striated and Red-browed Pardalote

Restless Flycatcher

Rainbow Bee-eater

Little Eagle

Wedge-tailed Eagle

White-gaped Honeyeater

Rufous Whistler

Cockatiel

White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike

An afternoon commercial boat trip on the Fitzroy River through the Geikie Gorge provided a pleasant interlude and a look at lots of fresh water crocodiles. Birds sighted included:

Darter

Royal Spoonbill

Sacred Ibis

Black Duck

Fairy Martin

Masked Lapwing

Black-fronted Dotterel

Brolga   a party of 2 adults and 1 young one

After the boat trip we headed out to our campsite at Brooking Springs (private property). Arriving close to dark we still managed to see

White-winged Triller

Rufous-throated Honeyeater

Rufous Songlark

Peaceful Dove

Bar-shouldered Dove

Little Egret

Great Bowerbird

59 species were seen for the day. Dinner was a beautifully cooked dish of fresh Barramundi. In fact as we had a gourmet chef with us, every night was a culinary delight and a wonderful mix of variety and flavours.  With that special added touch of a couple of drinks around a roaring campfire.

To be continued

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW