birding-aus

A Tale of two Trees

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: A Tale of two Trees
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 03 10:15:48 +1000
In our garden we have two large Eucalypts that between them have provided
copious amounts of blossom since early May.  I have a look 2 or 3 times on most
days and species seen in them are listed below

The first, a visitor said that it may be a type of mahogany, near the house
which was in flower for about 6 weeks from early May and birds recorded during
that time (it still has some blossom even now) were White-naped, New Holland,
White-plumed, Brown-headed, Yellow-tufted, Yellow-faced and Fuscous
Honeyeaters, Red Wattlebird, Noisy Friarbird,  Silvereye, Eastern Spinebill,
Eastern and Crimson Rosellas, Spotted and Striated Pardalotes, Varied Sitella,
Magpie, Pied Currawong, Grey Shrike-thrush, Kookaburra; Grey Fantail, Restless
Flycatcher, Willy Wagtail, Rufous and Golden Whistlers,  Weebill, Yellow-rumped
and Brown Thornbills, Dusky Woodswallow, Superb Fairy-wren and Sparrow.

The second, a Lemon-scented Gum, began flowering mid-June and has been visited
since then by White-plumed, New Holland, Brown-headed, White-naped, Fuscous &
Yellow-faced Honeyeayers, Eastern Spinebill. Silvereye, Red Wattlebird, Grey
Fantail, Willy Wagtail, Brown Thornbill, Weebill, House Sparrow, Scarlet Robin,
Grey Shrike-thrush, Crimson & Eastern Rosellas, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo,
Galah, Little & Purple-crowned Lorikeets, Magpie, Pied Currawong, Little Raven,
Superb Fairy-wren, Golden Whistler & Striated Pardalote.

Finally, the signs of Spring  A Grey Shrike-thrush is again sitting on eggs in
the saucepan in the tractor shed and we have found 2 Superb Fairy-wren nests in
the garden.  Honeyeaters and magpies are also chasing each other with intent
and I have only seen a Scarlet Robin once in the last couple of days.  The sun
is shining on our very wet ground and deciduous trees are shooting.

Barry

         Barry & Roberta McLean
         03 57981213
         0418 584433