birding-aus

Edithvale Wetlands 30 kms SE of Melbourne

To: <>
Subject: Edithvale Wetlands 30 kms SE of Melbourne
From: "Jacqui & Rob" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:08:20 +1000
hat a great time of year this is, welcoming back the birds. Feeling a bit
stressed and needing a change, Rob and I donned our gumboots and plodded
along the reedy track of the Northern side of the wetlands. At the gate we
were greeted by several Flame Robins, and a Fan Tailed Cuckoo, a nice start.
Our first trip here since all the rains so a delight to see all the dry
swamps brought back to life and covered in water.  Blue-billed duck, and
Musk Duck have joined the more common early arrivals. As we meandered along
listening to the Cisticolas and Little Grassbird, and many Superb Wrens
celebrating life, all my stress dissipated. Overhead and around our heads
even the many Welcome Swallows seemed to be very vocal.
    We then tackled the southern side, where the hide is, and noticed a
great influx of Coots, and Chestnut Teal, with Australasian Shovelers, and
another 6 Blue-billed Ducks. You certainly need good gumboots here to walk
through the reeds. We were hoping to see some wader arrivals, but that was
not to be today.

   In a couple of weeks time I will post a message regarding a Twilight hide
opening and a Walk through the reeds, when we have some waders. But for now
it's been a long, long time since I could record over 30 birds here. I feel
so lucky to be so close to this special spot.
Jacqui Sheppard
---
---