birding-aus

Reed Warbler at Fyansford near Geelong

To: <>
Subject: Reed Warbler at Fyansford near Geelong
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 16:28:00 +1000

I heard my first Reed Warbler for the season down at Fyansford, near Geelong, Victoria today.

It was on the section of river that links the Barwon to the Moorabool when the Barwon floods. This section of river rarely has alot of water in it, however they have recently dug out a channel which has subsequently caused the section to have so much water in it, that it has broken its banks. It has created a small wetland that has attracted a lot of birds to the area. Today, there were larger numbers than usual of Pacific Black Ducks, Eurasian Coots, Dusky Moorhens, a Darter, Sulfur Crested Cockatoos, White Faced Herons,  all feeding in or near this small wetland, with a reed warbler and little grassbird calling from the reeds.

Peter