birding-aus

Lepidoptera, Hesperioidea and other taxamonic/linguistic debates

To: "Peter Madvig" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Lepidoptera, Hesperioidea and other taxamonic/linguistic debates
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 09:11:24 +1000
Michael and Peter,

The English "moth" probably derives from the German  "Motte". Chaucer wrote
of a "motthe" if my memory serves me correctly. Some of the skippers have
very moth like characters. It is always good to remember that it is us who
create the boxes we force taxa into. Even the creationists must concede that
or make yet another violent attack on their own religious text.

Incidentally Peter, if it was not for the invasion of Scotland by your
ancestral kinsfolk and their demise at the hands of mine, my surname,
Gillanders, would not have been created.

Regards,
Alan