birding-aus

First Fantail Cuckoo, Ivanhoe, Vic.

To: <>
Subject: First Fantail Cuckoo, Ivanhoe, Vic.
From: "Paul and Irene Osborn" <>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:41:13 +1000
Anthea wrote :

> In the darkness this morning I heard a single call from a Fantail Cuckoo.
> I checked my watch - 5.10 a.m. No further calls before I fell asleep
> again.
> First this spring.
Usually, I leave it to Alan Morris to point out that Fantail Cuckoos are not
migratory but he seems to have given up trying to get this point across this
season so I will step into the breach. Around our way (central coast NSW)
they can be heard calling all winter. Not so the Common Koel, the first call
of which I heard (for this season) at Toronto on Wednesday (20th Aug).

We've just returned from a six week long trip out to central Australia (trip
report will be forthcoming, I promise) where the migrants seem to return
earlier than on the coast. Saw a Pallid Cuckoo at Gluepot in mid July and
Wilpena Pound was full of Rufous Whistlers in full song. I've also had
reports of Pallids from Moree in June and July this year. My wife saw an
Oriole this morning and a Rufous Whistler through the week. No
White-throated Gerygones yet but I am expecting them soon. To me they signal
the start of Spring, can't wait.
Paul Osborn
Cooranbong NSW