birding-aus

Seaeagle taking Coot

Subject: Seaeagle taking Coot
From: Noel Luff <>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 21:27:16 +1000
Last week I was sitting on the rear patio of a friend's house overlooking the Buckenbowra River (inland from Bateman's Bay - south coast of NSW) in post lunch mode and observing a Seaeagle patrolling the reach below. Just out of sight was a large dam on which numerous Coots and other waterfowl where swimming. The eagle disappeared in the direction of the dam and returned with a Coot clutched in its talons and heading down the river. My host (a non-birder) informed me that this was not an unusual occurrence. I can only assume that the Coot was taken from the water as the eagle was only gone for a short while.