birding-aus

RE: Little Corellas

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: RE: Little Corellas
From: "Bill Jolly" <>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:51:17 +1000

The situation that Alan Morris describes concerning coastal populations of Long-billed Corellas in NSW, mirrors the situation here in SE Queensland. Long-billed Corellas are increasingly common in these parts and are regular in areas where one never saw them just a few years ago. Flocks of 20 or 30 are regular now in parts of the Lockyer Valley. They have even made their way onto my house list in the last 12 months.

It would be sad to see them out compete Galahs for nest-sites, but we can’t deny the reality that there are numerous populations of Long-billed Corellas in Queensland which appear to be growing.

In the same way that overseas species such as Spotted Doves and Common Mynahs have been accepted, albeit reluctantly, onto the Australian list, so Long-billed Corellas have I think reached the point where must be regarded as a resident and breeding Queensland bird.

Bill Jolly

“Abberton”,

Lockyer Valley, Queensland.

Visit our website at http://www.abberton.org

Email: m("abberton.org","birdstay");">

Ph: (+61) 7 4697 6111  Fax: (+61) 7 4697 6056