birding-aus

Leaden/Satin Flycatcher ID

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Leaden/Satin Flycatcher ID
From: "Dickson" <>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 13:55:50 +1000
Hi all,

Having just read Graeme Chapman's article of Myiagra ID in the latest issue of Wingspan I was surprised to find that a fieldmark that I've always considered to be diagnostic was not mentioned. Indeed I've actually never seen this fieldmark mentioned anywhere.

In my experience no matter how dark the male Leaden is the flight feathers (on the folded wing) will always be a distinct grey (lighter than the rest of the body) with thin white edge lines. The male Satin on the other hand has flight feathers much darker like the rest of the upperparts with generally no white edge line. This can be clearly seen on the opening page of the article which shows a dark Leaden as an example of a specimen that might be easily confused with Satin - lighter flight feathers with pale edges are visible clearly making it a Leaden.

Can anyone confirm that this isn't just a figment of my imagination! Does anyone else find it a useful field mark?

Tim Dickson
Townsville