birding-aus

Blackbird's song

To: simon starr <>,
Subject: Blackbird's song
From: "Mike Tarburton" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 10:54:03 +1000
Simon and others interested in Blackbird song

It might be the cold of the UK they are missing and so have nothing to sing about.  We lived at Longburn in NZ for 12 years and found the Blackbirds there sang much more than the Aussie ones.  We also had many more Song Thrushes in NZ than we have around Melbourne.  That suggests it might be the lack of earthworms due to our harsh dry seasons compared to Longburn's equally distributed rainfall for all 12 months of the year, that gives them nothing to sing about in Melbourne.

Cheers

Mike
--
Mike Tarburton