birding-aus

Dead Sea-eagle Mystery

Subject: Dead Sea-eagle Mystery
From: "Mike Jarman" <>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:08:21 +0000
From the responses it seems quite plausable that the two birds became locked
during a talon-grappling display. It just seems a bit dumb to have as part of your display an act that could result in death. Not a good evolutionary design.

Unless they were two males fighting? (but, one was bigger than the other suggesting they were a pair). I don't know of any other way to tell the sexes apart other than genetic?

It is unfortunate that the incident occured last September without my knowledge as i would have passed the birds on to Mike Cannon (avian vet) at Wollongong for a thorough analysis as Marian suggested. No one could tell me what happened to the samples that were sent away for further analysis. It seems to me that the vets performed the procedure more as a duty rather than to find the true cause of death. They were told previous to the autopsy that poison was suspected. The birds have been passed on for "educational purposes". I should probably chase the issue further.

It is possible they died from poison. Perhaps they had fed on something together a few days earlier and the toxin delivered its final fatal results at the same time? Interestingly the folk from Foxground organised somebody to shoot and trap the foxes in the valley rather than use 1080 poison (He got 56 foxes in 16 nights using night vision gear, recordings of cubs, traps and a Judas Fox!).

Has anybody ever heard of raptors plumeting to the earth during a talon-grappling display?

cheers

mike