birding-aus

Road Kill

Subject: Road Kill
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 09:36:05 +1000
Alan
I'm sorry but I don't quite get your point. But then maybe I wasn't clear in alluding to the dilemma in the first instance.

We are talking about a reasonable-sized tract of private land sold to a developer a few years ago. The development has grown steadily to the point where there is now only a couple of hectares of bushland completely surrounded by housing and bordered on two sides by major roads (one recently opened and the site of 100% of the road kill).

I understand the problems faced with attempted re-location and the population levelling effect once you remove the population to another area.

But from my narrow focus on the issue, given that in a few months there will be no bushland save a narrow strip of parkland, relocation should be attempted as an alternative to having them killed on roads or by domestic animals or whatever. On Friday evening at 8pm I saw a female with joey on the front lawn of a neighbouring property, some 500metres from the nearest bushland.

From my research there seems to be no onus placed on developers save allocating 18% to parkland which at best serves as a playground for children and habitat to our good friends the Magpies, Currawongs, Crows, Noisy Miners etc.

As Peter Crow pointed out in an earlier reply -  I heard the comment the other day its illegal to kill a Koala but not
illegal to destroy its habitat so it starves to death.

I am as guilty as anyone in this situation living in an adjoining development that once was bushland - however seeing the plight of these animals and taking note of the councils and developers attitude - I feel the need to at least raise this issue.

Thanks again for your reply.

Cheers

Peter