birding-aus

Road Kill

Subject: Road Kill
From: "Peter Johnson (ITD)" <>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 08:50:39 +1000
This is not strictly related to Birding however given the continuing thread on road kill I thought I'd bring it up. I live in suburban western brisbane and a new development is quickly devouring a small pocket of remnant bushland containing a small colony of swamp wallabies. A recent major road opening adjacent to the development has resulted in numerous dead wallabies. Despite local pressure the developer refuses to part with a small fee to have NPWS attempt to remove and relocate the population. I am aware that relocation is difficult and not always successful however it seems a better alternative than to have these animals "disperse" - read "end up as road kill" which is the councils line.

My question is - are any of you aware of a local council that includes native wildlife relocation as a condition of planning approval? Brisbane City Council has no such requirement.
Cheers
Peter
Email from:
Peter Johnson
Intouch Data
62 Cordelia Street
South Brisbane QLD 4101
t: + 61 (0)7 3255 0401
f: + 61 (0)7 3255 0403
m: 0418 743 515
e:
w: www.intouchdata.com
The information contained in this email message is confidential and is intended for the recipient(s) as named only. If you are not the intended recipient please note that any use, copying or disclosure of this email and/or attachments is unauthorised and prohibited. If you have erroneously received this email please notify the sender per the contact details above. This email should then be deleted and removed permanently. Thank you.