birding-aus

Re; Roadkill removal.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re; Roadkill removal.
From: "Paul Walbridge" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 18:28:29 +1000
Bill Moorhead said;

Near Kalgoorlie years ago , I was surveying and
decided to move a large dead Red Kangaroo.
Grabbing it by the tail and looking the other way
because of the smell, I started dragging it.
Then a metre or so long goanna ran up my arm from
deep within......I thought the roo had somehow come
back life.......so check first for surprises.!

Knowing Bill as some of us do, that could only happen to him, in fact I'm surprised it wasn't a 3 metre Perentie, given the area & Bill's luck!!

Seriously though, it's a practice that's been used in Tasmania for some time to help prevent Tassie Devil road kills. Out west, here in Queensland it would be particularly useful for young Wedge-tails which gorge themselves so much sometimes as to find it difficult to fly off in a hurry. Problem is, there is so much roadkill you wouldn't get any birding in, particularly during a drought!

Cheers - Paul Walbridge.