birding-aus

Steve Irwin Conservation Tips

To: birding aus <>
Subject: Steve Irwin Conservation Tips
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:18:28 +1000

Last week I watched the Steve Irwin movie, The Crocodile Hunter, and picked up a "bloody ripper" tip for Birders to keep in mind.

During his adventures, if he saw a roadkill on the road, he would stop to move the corpse off the road. The reason he did this was to avoid any wildlife that came to feed on it, being subject to a similar fate and being hit by traffic.

I thought this was fanatastic tip, since most roadkills are from large trucks that have schedules to keep and would rarely (if ever) stop to move a roadkill off the road. (I doubt if many cars actually stop either.)

I brought this to mind, because  i recently found a  local Nankeen Kestrel, that had been occupying the same paddock for at least 6 months, dead on the road last week, near a rabbit corpse.

I'll be throwing a small shovel in the back of the car, so hopefully some more raptors can be saved. It might even save some human lives who might find themselves in an accident trying to avoid wildlife on the road.

Peter