birding-aus

Slaty-backs?

Subject: Slaty-backs?
From: Mrs Julie Lynn McLaren <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2003 06:49:03 +1000
We've had people here in the last couple of days who don't subscribe to birding-aus and therefore don't know of the interest that the other Slaty-back sightings [?] created. These people were sure that they saw a pair in the same vicinity as Grev and Marg Reidy did.
What actually drew their attention was that one of the birds had nesting material in its beak, so presumed it was an adult bird and not an immature Chestnut-rumped. They also had dark eyes.
So, I suppose until we can get someone who is also able to get a sighting and happens to have a high tech camera with them we'll never be able to prove that they're here.
We've seen a Black Falcon off and on for a few weeks and last week some visitors saw a pair. They nested here last year so maybe we'll be lucky enough to have them do so again.
 We have quite a lot of Brolgas and they're dancing and calling constantly so I'm sure we'll see some chicks this spring, first lot for 3 years, so fingers crossed.
Regards,
Julie McLaren.