birding-aus

Penrith Swift Parrots update

To: Carol Probets <>
Subject: Penrith Swift Parrots update
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2003 17:50:52 +1100
Carol
      Thanks for the "heads up".
I visited the hospital two weeks ago and found nothing. Unless of course
you find Noisy Miners and Rainbow Lorikeets unusual. So I thought I had
missed my first opportunity to see the Swifties.
      I revisited the Hospital today around 14:00 and there they were, at
the entrance to the main car park. Numbers were awkward to judge and due to
limited time, I didn't wander around, but there was between 15 to 20 all in
one tree.

Thanks again

Kind Regards,

Simon Hayes

                      Carol Probets

                      <>              To:

                      Sent by:                          cc:

                              Subject:
[BIRDING-AUS] Penrith Swift Parrots update
                      cnet.net.au

                      02/07/03 17:47

The Swift Parrots are still at Nepean Hospital, Penrith NSW. This afternoon
I counted about 40 moving gradually from tree to tree in a fairly close
group. All I had to do was stand under the covered walkway as they fed on
lerp at eye level only metres away in the rain. Wet weather birding at its
easiest! They were constantly fending off attacks from the Noisy Miners,
and mostly stood their ground well, but occasionally one would burst from
the tree with a miner hot on its tail in a "swift and noisy" chase into a
neighbouring tree.

For anyone who wants to see them, they seem to usually be in the
north-eastern part of the hospital grounds, from the main carpark which is
to the right of the Emergency entrance, around the Diabetes building and
across to the Tresilian and Mayne Health buildings.

Cheers

Carol