birding-aus

Powerful Owl in Williamstown

Subject: Powerful Owl in Williamstown
From: Fiona Hogan <>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 16:29:03 +1000
Hi All

If anyone happens to find a dropped feather whilst looking for the Powerful Owls in Williamstown or from any other Powerful Owl, I would  really appreciated a sample from it.  I am doing a three year study (PhD) looking at Powerful Owl genetics, I have attached a description of my project below.

Powerful Owl Study

We are conducting a study on the genetic variability of the Powerful Owl across its entire range, which includes Victoria, New South Wales and Southern Queensland. This information is critically important in building our understanding of these amazing birds.

We require as many
Powerful Owl samples as possible with known locations to ensure the success of the study.

Samples such as feathers found on the ground, road kills and injured birds all provide valuable information.

If you have any information about the location of live
Powerful Owls, Barking Owls and Boobook Owls and/or samples from any of these species such as feathers or tissue, injured birds or road kills please contact us.

Fiona Hogan
PhD Student
School of Ecology and Environment
Deakin University - Melbourne Campus