birding-aus

Barren Grounds

To: <>
Subject: Barren Grounds
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 00:48:20 +0800
At 20:16 03/07/2003 +0930, Peter Waanders wrote:
This is a sad development. I don't know what management structure there is for BGBO. I would be happy to provide information on the way Gluepot is managed - there is a management committee but through the efforts of one or two very dedicated people, Gluepot is rapidly becoming high-profile with skyrocketing media and government attention which has had a snowball effect on the amount of $$ coming its way through grants and sponsorships.

I probably should let this go through to the keeper but it hurts biting your tongue ...

This is a bit rich.  My understanding is that the management committee structure for Gluepot came from the established structures for the four observatories.

Birds Australia raised something like $1M through a special appeal for Gluepot.  They raised something like $0.5M to buy Newhaven.  This is great to get these places established, but my worry is what will happen 20 years or so down the track when they have to pay for the ongoing costs.

BA has raised many millions of dollars to fund HANZAB.

It has always been a source of frustration for me that they didn't look after their existing four observatories first, before adding two more.

Don't get me wrong.  I support HANZAB and the purchase of Gluepot and Newhaven.  I just feel that the four observatories should have had first priority.  Imagine what $1M could do to get the observatories on a good sound financial basis.

Frank O'Connor           Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.au