birding-aus

Draft new Australian Check list

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Draft new Australian Check list
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 13:42:02 +1000
g'day all,

and reading the discussion on Norfolk Island and Macquarie Island being included in a NZ checklist,
I saw a reference to a new draft Check List on the BA Web Page

Did I miss the announcement of this via our own Birding-Aus mailing List ?

The 14/2/2003 list can be downloaded from

1 Is this list already fait accompli ?
   I could not locate any requests for comment.

2 Who is responsible for the Common Names for the new splits ?
  I have commented before on giving the name "Kalkadoon" to  the Ballarae race of Dusky Grasswren without reference to the finders of the bird.

I would also suggest that separate lists should be published for the external Island territories such as
- Cocos-Keeling, Lord Howe, Norfolk, Norfolk, Macquarie, Heard, Christmas and perhaps the Torres Strait Islands.

After all, these are political locations. Does the UK include the Falkland Islands etc in their checklist ?

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.