birding-aus

What are the birds you record most often? (long)

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: What are the birds you record most often? (long)
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 17:02:23 +1000
OK birders; here's some flimsy data and idle speculation for you to ponder over dinner.

As part of some database maintenance today, I assembled some stats on what I have in there. Arising from that, I concocted a list of the birds I record most frequently - and conversely those I record least frequently.

Some background ....

I keep a BirdInfo database into which goes almost every fauna observation I make. From 1978 to about 1988, the records in my notebooks are mostly but not all in the database. Since about 1989 - 2003, just about everything goes in there. The kinds of jaunts that generate these records include recreational birding, atlassing, professional surveys/consulting work. I record all vertebrate taxa and some invertebrates (butterflies), but let's just talk birds for now.

I confined my analysis for this trivial aside to my home state of Victoria. Since starting in 1978, I've managed to squeeze 40,760 Victorian bird records from 1,626 surveys of 451 sites and 387 species. This is obviously incomplete (probably another 35-40 species in non-survey notes), but disregard that for now, and see what conclusions you can draw about where my birding has generally been (ie. can you detect my dry grassy woodland bias!!!???), based on the 50 most often recorded and 68 least recorded species (recorded <=0.2% of surveys).

50 most often recorded (% = number of surveys in which this species was recorded)

64.8 White-plumed Honeyeater 60.6 Australian Magpie 59.5 Grey Shrike-thrush 55.6 Superb Fairy-wren 48.8 Striated Pardalote 47.8 Sulphur-crested Cockatoo 45.1 Willie Wagtail 44.0 Galah 42.8 White-throated Treecreeper 42.4 Australian Raven 38.9 Red Wattlebird 38.3 Grey Fantail 38.0 Welcome Swallow 36.2 Brown Treecreeper 35.1 Laughing Kookaburra 34.3 Spotted Pardalote 32.1 Little Raven 31.1 Magpie-lark 29.5 Eastern Rosella 28.7 Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike 26.3 Brown Thornbill 26.1 Common Starling 25.3 White-winged Chough 25.0 Eastern Yellow Robin 24.6 Red-rumped Parrot 24.5 Eastern Shrike-tit 24.2 Common Blackbird 23.7 New Holland Honeyeater 23.2 Crimson Rosella 23.2 Yellow Rosella 23.0 Rufous Whistler 22.9 White-browed Scrubwren 22.9 Weebill 21.8 Brown-headed Honeyeater 21.6 Dusky Woodswallow 21.5 Golden Whistler 20.8 Yellow-faced Honeyeater 20.8 Silvereye 20.6 White-naped Honeyeater 20.5 Red-browed Finch 20.4 Jacky Winter 19.9 Buff-rumped Thornbill 19.7 House Sparrow 19.5 Yellow-rumped Thornbill 18.3 Striated Thornbill 17.7 Mistletoebird 17.6 Restless Flycatcher 16.8 White-eared Honeyeater 15.1 Common Bronzewing 15.1 White-faced Heron

Bottom 68 (<= 0.2% of surveys - rarities, vagrants, birds from places I don't much go, etc.)

0.2 Whimbrel 0.2 Common Sandpiper 0.2 Grey-tailed Tattler 0.2 Sanderling 0.2 Bush Stone-curlew 0.2 Pomarine Jaeger 0.2 Arctic Jaeger 0.2 Gull-billed Tern 0.2 Grey-fronted Honeyeater 0.2 Ground Cuckoo-shrike 0.2 Common Diving-Petrel 0.2 Kerguelen Petrel 0.2 Blue Petrel 0.2 Hutton's Shearwater 0.2 Wood Sandpiper 0.2 Terek Sandpiper 0.2 Red-tailed Black-Cockatoo 0.2 Regent Parrot 0.2 Turquoise Parrot 0.2 Rufous Fieldwren 0.2 Regent Honeyeater 0.2 Pied Honeyeater 0.1 King Quail 0.1 Southern Giant-Petrel 0.1 Cape Petrel 0.1 Buller's Shearwater 0.1 White-faced Storm-Petrel 0.1 Square-tailed Kite 0.1 Little Button-quail 0.1 Long-toed Stint 0.1 Ruff 0.1 Oriental Pratincole 0.1 Australian Pratincole 0.1 White-fronted Tern 0.1 Wonga Pigeon 0.1 Red-lored Whistler 0.1 Black-faced Monarch 0.1 Red-whiskered Bulbul 0.1 Plumed Whistling-Duck 0.1 Northern Shoveler 0.1 Garganey 0.1 Southern Fulmar 0.1 Gould's Petrel 0.1 Antarctic Prion 0.1 Slender-billed Prion 0.1 Fulmar Prion 0.1 Sooty Shearwater 0.1 Wandering Albatross 0.1 Royal Albatross 0.1 Grey-headed Albatross 0.1 Sooty Albatross 0.1 Wilson's Storm-Petrel 0.1 Australian Little Bittern 0.1 Plains-wanderer 0.1 Little Curlew 0.1 Little Stint 0.1 Broad-billed Sandpiper 0.1 Red-necked Phalarope 0.1 Painted Snipe 0.1 Ringed Plover 0.1 Arctic Tern 0.1 Bar-shouldered Dove 0.1 Scaly-breasted Lorikeet 0.1 Scarlet-chested Parrot 0.1 Mallee Whipbird 0.1 Little Woodswallow 0.1 Spotted Bowerbird 0.1 Double-barred Finch And can anyone else be bothered doing likewise with their home state observations?

Yours, curiously

Lawrie

--
=================================
Lawrie Conole

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail:
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential information
intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or forward without permission.