birding-aus

Geelong (ish) area update and Digiscoping

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Geelong (ish) area update and Digiscoping
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:32:25 +1000

Hi All,

Some weekend reports:

21st June 2003 - Beauchamp Falls  - Bassian Thrush feeding in the carpark.

22nd June 2003 - Anakie(cnr Demotts rd) - Male Mallard in small drainage pond.

There were  large numbers of Freckled Ducks (probably 70+), on the first pond as you enter Beach Rd at WTP.
I couldn't find the Pratincole(s) or the Northern Shoveller. Has anyone seen them recently?

I also test drove my new digiscope setup out at the WTP and was absolutely amazed by the results!

I'm currently hand holding my Nikon Coolpix 4500 against the eyepeice of a Pentax PF80ED Spotting Scope, and have got some pretty descent shots so far. Some long distance shots over water have produced considerable blue/green chromatic abberation, however, i'll have to retest with a camera adaptor, since it may be caused by the camera lense not being held square against the eyepeice. But maybe this is the difference between ED lenses and 'true' apochromatic lenses produced by Swarovski etc.???   Can any digiscopers out there comment on any chromatic aberration noticed with Swarovski scopes?

I've found a link to a program that digitally removes/adjusts chromatic abberation from digi photos, which may come in handy:

Picture Window 3.1   - http://www.dl-c.com

I'm looking forward to doing more digiscoping and refining the art. Its amazing the markings you pick up on birds that you've never noticed before.

I was particularly impressed by the different marking displayed by Pink Eared Ducks, all having unique shapes and shades of brown eye patch plus a individual positionings of the pink ear.  I noticed that what appeared to be the leaders of the flock, had very heavy set, and sharply defined eye patches. While others had more rounded, or jagged eye patches, giving every individual duck a unique personality.

Anyway, i'm sure i'll be noticing a lot more about birds now i have a scope. I'm looking forward to the waders arriving again this summer. WTP is a digiscopers delight!

Peter