birding-aus

Queensland birding Itinerary

Subject: Queensland birding Itinerary
From: "Graham Etherington" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:00:43 -0700
Dear Birders,
I?m visiting from the UK to attend a conference in Brisbane this week, and then I?m taking 2 weeks off to do a birding through Queensland, including Lamington NP, the Central Queensland Coast, Cairns, and the Atherton Tablelands, among others. I depart this Thursday, so I was hoping that some people who know a bit about Queensland might take a quick look at my itinerary. I?ve posted it on my website at : http://groups.msn.com/GrahamEtherington/oz1.msnw

It spans 3 small pages

Not really knowing too much about the status of various birds in Australia, the things that I?m most concerned about is this. 1. Am I missing out any essential sites (remembering that I?ll might have to miss out another site if I change my itinerary)? 2. I?m concerned that I might end up spending too much time looking for a species (especially earlier on in my trip), which might turn out to be easy to get later on in the trip (and visa-versa, not spending time looking for something fairly common at the beginning of my trip that is much scarcer later on). To this effect I?ve put the birds in bold that are the target species for the sight given, and the birds in italics that I should make a special effort to see if given the chance. Birds in regular font are birds that I?ve seen mentioned in various trip reports, but don?t think are too unusual. I?d invite comment to the status of any bird (rare or not) mentioned at any site. 3. Am I missing any new info on birds and does anyone have any info on good stakeouts for various birds that I might not have? I?m taking a spotlight, so will be looking for nocturnal birds too. 4. Finally ? tapes. Are the frowned upon? If not, are they essential, or just helpful? (I?d prefer not to use them if possible).

Many thanks for your time, and look forward to hearing from some of you soon.
Best wishes,
Graham Etherington
Norwich, UK