birding-aus

re searching for Robins

To: <>
Subject: re searching for Robins
From: "Jacqui" <>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:42:12 +1000
In this beautiful mild winter weather how can any birdo retiree resist the call of a midweek outing that teases of the possibility of ...Rose Robins, Red Browed Treecreeper and  Lewin's Honeyeater.  We joined the mid-week BOCA group on Tuesday at Donnelly's Weir  (north of Healesville)for a most enjoyable meander through tall forest. Other than the treecreepers, many Striated and Brown Thornbills and occasional Lewin's the sounds of the forest were fairly quiet. Despite our scouring of the area where the Rose Robins had last been seen there was no success but the friendly company made up for the lack of birds.
A quick couple of looks by several people at  the rich brown back and rufous side of a  bird got some of us all guessing - definitely a whistler because of the unique striated folded wing pattern, a rufous whistler we thought, but on reviewing 4 different guides I now feel confident it was an Olive Whistler.
Rob and I then went to Badger Creek for some more walking and robin searching. We hadn't been out of the car for long when a colony of birds in the low shrub caught my eye. Of course I had a cup in one hand and  food in the other and couldn't get the binos up in a flurry as with great excitement I had noted the brilliant pink of a busy robin. He was chased along by other small birds but we both were able to follow and have great views of his splendiferous coloured rose pink belly and chest. What a joy - our first pink Robin in 4 years - definitely worth staying home this winter for.
 Now my next winter challenge of first sightings  are the Orange Bellied Parrot and a Pilotbird .
Regards,.
Jacqui  Sheppard
Edithvale
Melbourne