birding-aus

Ravens and golf balls

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Ravens and golf balls
From: "EDDIE CHAPMAN" <>
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 06:27:21 +0200
Hello Down under,
Scott O'Keffe wrote:
>2. Sell the golf balls back to the golvers.
**********************************'
This is just what I did when I worked as a candy during my misspent youth
many moon's ago. A Carrion Crow was notorious for stealing golf balls on one
of the fairways at the local golf course. It was always the same. The crow
would swoop down, pick up a ball and fly off, much to the anger and outrage
of the golfer who could only watch his golf ball fly away. As a young bird
watcher however, I was more interested in the crow and after a few times, I
noticed that the crow always landed in the same tree outside the golf course
boundaries. A visit after school one day proved to be worth while, there was
loads and loads of golf balls. Well after that I checked the area every day,
and soon was making a few bob selling the golf balls back to the golfers at
the golf course. On a last note Ravens and golf balls are not just a Aussie
thing. Ravens have been collecting golf balls on our local driving range.
The golf club have said "thousands" of balls have disappeared, if so I'd
better get looking.

All the best,
Eddie Chapman.  Voss.  Norway.
The best site by site guide for Norway: www.birdwatching-in-norway.com
Personal Guiding; Scheduled and Custom Tours - Latest Observations