birding-aus

Help Please

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Help Please
From: "Valerie Curtis" <>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:50:34 +1000

Penn, I am interested to find out if any studies have been done in Australia on the impact of artificial feeding on native birds; particularly the aspect of favouring one particular species to the possible detriment of another.

The most obvious case is the NECTAR FEEDER and Red or Little Wattlebirds. These bullies can clear every other species out of a garden in a couple of weeks, including non-nectar eating, species if the feeder is left unguarded by wire mesh to keep the bigfellas out. This occurred when I lived in Frankston and put out a nectar feeder, the Red Wattlebirds chased just about every other species away including the Spotted Pardalote (I didn’t leave it up very long!).

The other thing that might cause an imbalance is the common practice of planting lots of native or other NECTAR BEARING shrubs that again encourages the larger aggressive honeyeaters.

I don’t think any studies have been done either here or overseas. I have been in touch with birders in USA and UK where every other person puts out food for the birds but they seem to have put a bit more thought into it and provide many different types of food in different styles of feeders.

Perhaps the answer for us here where we still have abundant areas of native, more or less, untouched bush is to leave the artificial feeding to the towns people and try to provide well researched information on the best foods to supply, the time of year it would be most beneficial, the type of feeders and most importantly keeping the feeders clean.

One thing we don’t want to do is upset the natural balance any more than we have done already. We certainly don’t want to encourage the sparrows, starlings and turtledoves to the detriment of the native species by just chucking breadcrumbs on the back lawn which is how some people think they ‘feed the birds’.

Cheers          Val Curtis