birding-aus

Terrick Terrick and a Barking Owl

To: "Steve Clark" <>, <>
Subject: Terrick Terrick and a Barking Owl
From: "Aaron Organ" <>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 15:00:27 +1000
Hi Steve and others,
                               just back from a couple of days birding
throughout north east and northern Victoria.  Spent a half a day at Chiltern-Mt
Pilot National Park on Friday and met up with Eileen Collins from the Friends
of Chiltern Box-Ironbark NP.  Spent about 1-2 hours around Green Hill Road
(north of the highway) looking for Regents, Swift Parrots and other woodland
birds.  Very few Eucalypts are in flower at the moment (different to that
around Horsham and Dadswell Bridge where a number of trees are flowering well)
but hopefully after the recent rains condtions will improve.  Many of the
Stringybarks and wattles throughout the Park are dead due to the drought.

Although up to seven Regent Honeyeaters were regularly seen a couple of weeks
ago no birds were seen this time - the birds have most likely moved after the
rains.  In April, Eileen and others regularly observed Regent's, Black
Honeyeaters and White-fronted HE's at the same location.  After having a good
look through this area we then went south of the Highway to Honeyeater Picnic
Area.  Cyanide Dam is still dry and has been since January but there were still
a few birds getting around.  Some of the birds recorded during the day include
Black-chinned Honeyeater, White-plumed HE, Fuscus HE, Yellow-tufted HE,
Brown-headed HE, Eastern Spinebill, Eastern Yellow Robin, Turquoise Parrot,
White-browed Babbler, Little Lorikeet, Mistletoebird, White-winged Chuff, Noisy
Friarbird, Goldern Whistler, Crested Shrike-tit, White-bellied Cuckoo-shrike
and Peaceful Dove to name a few.  The recent rains have also stimulated frogs
such as Spotted Marsh Frog and Plains Froglet to call etc.  Check out
information on birding in the Chiltern-Mt Pilot National Park at
http://www.tourisminternet.com.au/chbirdn1.htm

Yeaterday (Saturday) headed to Terrick Terrick National Park to have a look
around.  Only had a couple of hours before it got dark to race around and do
some birdwatching.  As mentioned by Steve the area has certainly greened up and
the dams have filled after the recent rain.  Some of the birds recorded include
Austalian Ringneck (2), Zebra Finch (10), Red-rumped Parrots (30+) along
Mitiamo-Forest Road, Red-capped Robin (2), Hooded Robin (1) and White-winged
Chuff (30-40) to name a few in the native White Cypruss Woodland.  Had a quick
look over the grassland areas but nothing interesting seen.

Hope to head up there for a few days in either Spring or Summer to do some bird
watching and frog and herp searching.

On the way from Benella through to Echuca, and then to Terrick Terrick NP l was
keeping an eye out for Brolgas but no such luck.

Cheers

Aaron Organ
Zoologist

Biosis Research Pty. Ltd.
Natural and Cultural Heritage Consultants
322 Bay Street (PO Box 489)
PORT MELBOURNE VIC 3207

ph: (03) 9646 9499
fax: (03) 9646 9242