birding-aus

Terrick Terrick and a Barking Owl

Subject: Terrick Terrick and a Barking Owl
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 03:40:40 +1000
G'day all

I'm just back from some field work (establishment of bluebush under cereal crops) up near Terrick Terrick National Park. (Northen Plains, Victoria). Naturally I found a few hours to do some birding in the park. My first visit to this oasis so I mostly stayed around the southern end near the picnic area. Lots of nice dry country birds we don't get down Hamilton way. I saw about 40 species in and around the park. Highlights were Zebra Finch, Peaceful Dove, Black-faced Woodswallow, Hooded Robin, Red-capped Robin, Ringneck, Southern Whiteface and Black-chinned Honeyeater. Other good birds seen while travelling around the area: Brolga (pair west of Mitiamo), Banded Lapwing and a Barking Owl.

The Barking Owl was flushed from a roadside she-oak and flew into a peppercorn. It sat there in clear view while I got my binoculars and then let us look closely for several minutes until we thought we should leave it in piece. My first Barking Owl in Victoria and only my second sighting (first was a pair in the Darwin bot gardens a couple of years ago). My colleagues were most impressed with this handsome bird.

We wandered around in the national park grasslands for a while yesterday afternoon but couldn't conjure up a Plains Wanderer. What do they do during the day? Do they flush like quail or sneak away? Lots of rain on the plains on Wednesday night - up to 30 mm and 20+ was common. It should be a good season for the grasslands and the birds.

Cheers

Steve Clark
Hamilton, Vic
http://members.datafast.net.au/clarkja/sw_birds.htm