birding-aus

Re: Roadkills

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Re: Roadkills
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:14:12 +1000
Hi Peter and others,

Having just returned from residential school at Albury for the Charles Sturt Ornithology Grad Dip, I have just been pursuing this line of enquiry.  While we were there we looked at dozens of specimens and were told that all specimens were more than welcome, and I can attest to their usefulness.  Often museums will use common species to trade with other institutions where, for example, Purple-crowned Lorikeets, are not so common.

Walter Boles (Avian Collection Manager at the Australia Museum, NSW) told us that in NSW collection was quite straightforward as licences granted to the museum cover collectors, or something like that, suffice to say that you would be covered.  However he did warn that other states may have different laws and used Queensland as a example of a place where one must be very careful of being caught with any native fauna in one's freezer.

In Victoria I followed up the conversation with Wayne Longmore at Melbourne Museum and have included hi reply to me below.

Just ensure you record where and when, freeze it and forward it to the museum ASAP.

Happy collecting

Stuart