birding-aus

Re: Strange gull

Subject: Re: Strange gull
From: "Dean Portelli" <>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 14:38:37 +1000
Hi all,

The tail is indeed a problem. Bruce has said he clearly saw that it was all white and noted this may be because the bird is an aged bird (I again ask where does this suggestion originate? see my earlier post) or alternatively (as Dion reiterated) it may be due to moult. I don't have access to the wingspan article Dion cites, so I have the following question: How does the tail appear wholly white during moult? I assume not all tail feathers would be shed simultaneously so at any point in time during moult there would still be old feathers (or almost fully grown new feathers) while other feathers are still growing, and these would clearly show the black subterminal band on them. The only way I can invisage an all-white tail during moult is if all tail feathers are shed simultaneously and then only during a short period when the tail is growing and thus would be noticeably short would the uppertail coverts conceal the subterminal band. Please enlighten me (does David James offer an explanation in the article?).

Cheers, Dean